5. What may Mike Males agree with?
A. Teen curfews help reduce crime.
B. Teen curfews aren’t as effective as expected.
C. Curfew-breakers should be punished.
D. More studies should be carried out on teen curfews.
6. The underlined word “scant” in the fourth paragraph is closest in meaning to _________.
A. little B. direct C. clear D. good
7. According to the text, Males’ findings about teen curfews ________.
A. were published in 2003 B. came after Kline’s
C. received wide recognition D. were based on limited studies
8. The text is mainly about _________.
A. how to lower youth crime B. the importance of curfews
C. whether teen curfews are effective D. recent studies about teen curfews
Well, I’m about 4 weeks into winter training and I’m still alive and well. To be honest, I’m better than alive; I’m happier than a pig rolling around. So far everything about this winter has been positive.
This year we have changed a治疗癫痫病哪里好 lot about my training in order to improve next year. It’s taken a while to sink into my mind but I’ve finally accepted that I can’t do everything on my own. For about two years I’d been doing my own strength and still working as hard as I always do but just not making progress.
I am now working one to one with Gary Nash and Tom Clay at the Unit Gym in Newcastle, which is under a railway bridge. I’m feeling the benefits already, basically Gary makes me do things that I wouldn’t make myself do. There’s a point where you need that little push to go past, and he is certainly pushing me. Every session is a challenge and a war. Very grateful to Gary for his help and I’m sure it’s going to have an impact on performances next year.
I’ve been touched by the number of people who have told me they got tickets to watch me compete next year. It gives me even more encouragement to be the best prepared I can be. I’ve been very frustrated in the last couple of years, for things haven’t always gone as I’d liked but now this is a fresh start. When I started at the Paralympics(残奥会), you usually had to drag people into the stadium to watch it. Now people are paying good money to get tickets and some sports are selling out, it’s great. I want to put on the best show possible for everyone coming to watch. I know in my mind I am defending champion lost in Beijing. What happened there was wrong but it’s now accepted, and I go into London looking 上海到哪里治癫痫好to defend my title and undefeated record with honor, pride and bravery.
9. According to the passage, the author has got plenty of encouragement from ________.
A. rapid progress he has made
B. the benefits of the Unit Gym
C. a fresh start he set for himself
D. the people who got tickets to watch his competition
10. Which of the following about the author is FALSE?
A. The author is an athlete who attended the Beijing Olympics.
B. The author lost his competition in the Beijing Paralympics.
C. The author has been trained hard in a new way.
D. The author needs Gary Nash to push him.
11. The underlined word “frustrated” has a similar meaning to “_______”.
A. interested B. encouraged C. disappointed D. excited
12. The best title of the passage should be _______.
A. I am looking to be trained in a happy way
B. I am looking to defend my title at London
C. I am looking to drag people into the stadium
D. I am looking to be pushed hard in my training
3. 我给你寄了一封信作为对你的问题的答复。(in response to)
5. 他们正在大雨中排队买票。(wait in line)
6. 飓风已经造成了成千上万的人死亡。(result in)
7. 他表现得若无其事。(as if)
9. 老板一离开，工人们就胡闹。(fool around)
10. 俱乐部欢迎所有新成员，不管他们的年龄大小。(regardless of)
1. delay 2. resisted 3. caution 4. acknowledge 5. convinced
6. ridiculous 7. identification 8. desperate 哪家羊癫疯医院治疗好 9. compensate 10. accompanied
1. was 2. actually 3.the 4. or 5. to reduce
6. cleaner 7. that/which 8. amazing 9. changes 10. patient
1-4 BABA 5-8 BADC 9-12 DACB
1. When he heard the news, he burst out laughing like a child.
2. This step is in harmony with our policy.
3. In response to your question, I have sent you a letter.
4. Both powers withdrew their forces from the region.
5. They are waiting in line for tickets in the heavy rain.
6. The hurricane resulted in thousands of deaths.
7. He behaved as if nothing had happened/ occurred.
8. We found the hotel very comfortable.
9. The workers began to fool around immediately the boss left.
10. The club welcomes all new members regardless of their ages.